Go Back

What are the Symptoms of a Natural Gas Leak?

dull headache from a gas leak

You won’t always smell a gas leak. Sometimes you’ll only suffer the effects. So, what are the symptoms of a natural gas leak? Do pets experience the same symptoms? Plus, how do you detox from natural gas poisoning? We’ll answer all of these questions and tell you what you need to know for your safety.

The Symptoms of a Natural Gas Leak

If you have a natural gas leak in your home, you may develop carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is a by-product of the natural gas fueling your home. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:

  • Weakness
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Dizziness
  • Dull headache
  • Confusion
  • Shortness of breath
  • Chest pain
  • Blurred vision
  • Muscle paralysis
  • Loss of consciousness

Prolonged exposure to carbon monoxide can kill you. The gas replaces the oxygen in your blood so that your brain and organs no longer receive oxygen. So, the symptoms gradually get worse as more and more oxygen is replaced.

Health Effects in Cats and in Dogs

Cats and dogs suffer similar symptoms of a natural gas leak as humans. However, as pets can’t speak, it can be hard to spot these symptoms if you are not looking for them. You should be concerned if your pet has these symptoms:

  • Weak and lethargic
  • Seems unsteady on feet or unbalanced
  • Is having trouble breathing
  • Seems sleepy or depressed
  • Appears to be deaf
  • Has seizures or has passed out

Pets may suffer carbon monoxide poisoning before their humans. If you suspect your cat or dog has carbon monoxide poisoning, evacuate your home and call the authorities. Take your pet to the vet, and be sure to have yourself and your family checked out.

How to Detox From Natural Gas Poisoning

If you suspect you have natural gas poisoning, the first thing you should do is seek fresh air. This isn’t detoxing per se, but it prevents more of the toxin from building up in your body. Then get yourself to a doctor.

If your poisoning is severe enough, doctors may give you an oxygen mask to help your body recover. Other treatments involve limiting the effect the carbon monoxide will have on your brain and other organs.

Unfortunately, there’s no treatment that removes the carbon monoxide from your blood. You should never rely on a natural remedy to detox carbon monoxide, as they simply don’t work. All treatments revolve around giving your body more oxygen, and therefore more time to remove the toxin naturally before permanent damage sets in. This is why it is so important to prevent natural gas leaks and carbon monoxide poisoning—the damage can’t be reversed with anything but time.

To protect yourself, you should install carbon monoxide detectors in your home and make sure they are in working order. You should also get any gas appliances in your home maintained. Lastly, if your sewers are in poor condition, they can also allow natural gas and other dangerous substances into your home. It’s wise to ensure your sewers are in good condition.